Skip to content

Day 7

April 27, 2010

The year I was pregnant with the Jr. Spark it became unseasonably warm very early in the spring.  We lived on Wurtsmith Air Force Base in Oscoda, Michigan, a base that has since been closed.  There was no air conditioning in our military housing unit.   All we had was one electric box fan and some windows.

I was due in late July but the July weather hit in May.  On the weeks Mr. Sparky sat alert on base, I didn’t even bother to try to sleep upstairs in our bedroom.  It was just too dang hot.  I’d toss and turn on the sofa and the weather channel would often report temps in the upper 80s in the middle of the night.  And it was humid, to boot.  The only place it was even moderately cool was in our basement.  I’d go down there to try to catch a breather every now and then.  It was damp and dark, but at least it wasn’t a sauna.

As my due date got closer and closer, I got bigger and bigger.  I developed a raging case of cankles that no amount of bed rest or fluids could relieve.  The skin on my abdomen stretched so far so fast that it became maddeningly itchy.  I was miserable and couldn’t begin to get comfortable.

One night it was so awful that we took the thin mattress off of our sleeper sofa and dragged it to the basement.  We set up the box fan to blow across us and we slept there.  My reward was a sore throat and yucky sinuses from sleeping in the damp, but at the time it was so hot that it almost seemed like a reasonable trade-off.  Until I couldn’t breathe and couldn’t stop coughing and wasn’t allowed to take anything for relief.

I was more than two weeks overdue when the doctors finally induced me.  The labor was a nightmare, the delivery and recovery almost killed me (I’m not exaggerating, but that’s another story for another time), but my reward was a beautiful 9 lb 14 oz baby Spark and a week’s stay in an air-conditioned hospital.  I was too sick to care about the air conditioning for a number of days, but by the time I was well enough to be released back into the sauna, I was much more appreciative.

My mother in law came to stay for a few days when the Jr Spark was born.  Now, my mother in law doesn’t sweat.  It has to be super hot to get her blood moving.  But she was sweating during that visit, and she’d take pity on us and put us in her car to go for drives simply because the car was air-conditioned!  And before she left to go home, she bought us a ceiling fan for our bedroom.  The woman became a saint in my book that day!

I’m just not a tropical kind of girl, I’m afraid.  Give me autumn weather any day.

One Comment leave one →
  1. May 14, 2010 2:50 pm

    That’s a REALLY big baby. Wow. Ouch.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: